Built in 1831 by Joel Eaton, the Federal Greek Revival house at 3 Church Street has seen many incarnations. It is rumored to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad and local lore has it that General Lafayette may have slept here. The east wing was added in the 1860s and was later used as a recovery home for civil war veterans. Ms. Eleanor Paine converted the house to a bed and breakfast in the early 1990s. Known simply as “3 Church Street,” the house became a beloved local landmark, and Ms. Paine is still fondly remembered by former guests and Woodstock residents as kind and full of good-humor. In 2006, 3 Church was rechristened “The Lauren” under the proprietorship of Jack and Nicole Maiden. The Maidens carefully updated the old house, combining a classic aesthetic with a modern twist. The house became The Blue Horse Inn when it was purchased by Peter and Anna Kolchinsky and Ben Ford and Keri Cole in August 2009. The two couples continued to make improvements to the property, including updating mechanical systems, the pool, and gardens. The inn closed in 2015 but will reopen in July 2018, following additional cosmetic and structural improvements by Tony and Jill Amato, who purchased the inn in March 2018.
The name for The Blue Horse Inn was inspired by the paintings of Der Blaue Reiter group, particularly the blue horses series by German Expressionist painter Franz Marc.
Franz Marc, Blaues Pferd I, 1911
Our heated outdoor pool overlooks the Ottauquechee River and is the perfect place to enjoy a swim, a book, or a drink. The pool is open from 9am to 9pm. Please note that the pool is for guest use only, and there is no lifeguard on duty.
Spend an evening by our fire pit. It’s a great place to roast marshmallows, tell stories, and enjoy a crisp Vermont evening.
Commons areas include a beautiful living room, a library, dining room, and a spacious back porch overlooking the grounds, all of which are great places for guests of the Blue Horse Inn to have a glass of wine, read a book, or simply relax.